2018 has been brutal.
I have learnt so many lessons this year, lessons about myself, who I am and what I deserve and I am taking all of those lessons with me into the new year.
Here are 5 lessons I have learnt in 2018;
- Nothing changes if you don’t do anything. “Just because you find that life’s not fair it Doesn’t mean that you just have to grin and bear it. If you always take it on the chin and wear it nothing will change!” – Matilda the musical. This year I sat and looked at my life and wondered why nothing was getting better until I realised that I wasn’t doing anything to change what was happening. So in 2019 I am going to start making those changes instead of just waiting for a miracle.
- People change and sometimes they don’t but that’s not up to me. Sometimes when people change it’s for the better and you can see the positivity of their new self flowing and it’s inspiring to see but sometimes people don’t change, even if you really hoped things would be different. I have learnt that I cannot make that change for them. Everyone is different and you can’t decide what a person needs for them, they have to figure it out on their own.
- To do what I want without needing validation. This is something I am still working on, I am terrible at making decisions that aren’t backed up by 20 different people but I have gotten better so I will take this into the new year with me, I will do the things that make ME happy without worrying what others will think and I will stop not doing things because I know someone else won’t like it. (basically to not be a complete people pleaser all the time).
- There’s nothing wrong with admitting you aren’t ok. This year I suffered from anxiety which I came to terms with quite quickly because it was quite obvious to myself and everyone around me but I really struggled admitting that I was depressed and i’m still not entirely sure why. I didn’t want to go and talk about my depression, I was just anxious but after going to counselling I realised that sometimes you just have to admit that you aren’t coping as well as you thought you were and there’s nothing wrong with that.
- Your support system is the most important thing. I have the greatest support system in the world, my siblings, dad and friends are the biggest reason that I got through this year. I have made some mistakes this year, really stupid mistakes, I did things that looking back I should have known better, but never once did they leave. They picked me up and dusted me off everytime i fell. Make sure you have people in your life who care about you, who will accept the fact you wont take all of their advice but will still help you pick up the pieces after. Thank you to everyone who helped me this year. You saved me, I promise to start actually taking your advice! Thank you to my best friend Molly who has stood by me throughout this entire shitshow.
These are 5 things that i have learnt this year and that I will be taking into 2019 with me because they are so important and if I ever feel like I can’t do it, I will come and look at this post to remind myself what matters. I hope 2019 is your year and that you accomplish everything you didn’t manage to this year. Make 2019 a year to remember.