Hello again! I’m sorry it’s been a while, I’ve spent the last month editing and polishing up my final university short story, I may post it on the blog if it’s something anyone would be interested in reading. My posts should go back to being regular from this week on.
Today I wanted to talk about the “Women are some kind of magic” series created by author Amanda Lovelace, I first discovered Amanda’s writing on Instagram and after reading a few poems from her first book “The Princess saves herself in this one” about 18 months ago I just knew I had to go and buy it. I now have all three books from the series and they have all caught my heart in totally different ways, they all have many dogeared pages and I find myself constantly going back to them whenever I’m sad and need picking up as well as constantly recommending them to friends.
I wanted to talk about this series as I bought the last book “The mermaid’s voice returns in this one” in the collection yesterday and wasn’t able to put it down, it has quickly become one of my firm favourites. All of Amanda’s books cover a wide range of topics from Feminism to Abuse, every poem is from the heart and it’s made very clear to the reader that Lovelace really cares about these topics and they are things she wants to raise awareness of. What I love about this series is that it is clearly inspiring, it can help people see that they are not alone in their situations and even validate feelings that they don’t realise other people also go through. These books have helped me on my rainiest of days, making me feel better as well as not alone, they are incredibly empowering and I cannot suggest them highly enough to anyone struggling as they are the perfect pick-me-up. Something i really enjoy about Amanda’s writing is how she writes her poems, that they take all shapes and sizes yet it doesn’t take away from the content of the poem if anything this adds to it, making the reader search a little deeper for the meaning. something else that i adore about her writing is that although it’s simple and straight to the point it’s still incredibly powerful which for me personally is how I prefer poetry to be but she has nailed that line completely.
I won’t go into detail or share any of the poems as I feel that you should go check out Amanda on her social media (links below) because I don’t want to take away any of the magic that comes from sitting down and reading them in their entirety. Every single poem was written is designed to help people and that’s exactly what they do and I have the most utmost respect for Amanda for talking about such hard issues such as sexual assault and child abuse as well as including a trigger warning at the start of the books to help her readers, this isn’t something you see in many books.
I have never been one for writing poetry but Amanda has inspired me to give it a go and I think that everyone who has the chance should go and read this series! If you already have please let me know in the comments below what you thought and share your favourite poems or poets! I would love to talk with you about them and read any of your suggestions.
Thank you for reading and as always, I hope this year is your year!
My apologies for being a week late with this post, I have just been swamped with uni work and a very impromptu decorating project. Before I start on my post I would like to say thank you to all for 100 likes on my blog, those small victories honestly make my day and give me all the motivation I need to continue with my tiny blog! So thank you!
So, what’s happened in the last few weeks, well, I finished therapy. 10 weeks ago I started CBT therapy to help me with my anxiety, now I am going to make an entire blog post dedicated to this but for now, let me just say; it is completely worth it. I feel the calmest I have felt in years, I feel like I can actually handle situations in a rational way and get through my days quicker because I’m not spending so much time in my own head stressing myself out. I will be writing a full post on this and what the individual’s sessions were like for me!
I started decorating my room! This is such a huge deal for anyone that knows me. My room had 2 black walls and 2 blue walls, the black was because my lil emo heart thought it would be so cool (it wasn’t) and the blue walls were due to me never actually buying white paint because I am the queen of procrastination. My twin and I have spent the last week stripping all the wallpaper in preparation. Something I learnt about myself during this is that I may be a slight hoarder, here are a few things I found under my bed whilst cleaning;
- A 5-year-old empty bottle of Malibu rum from when my friend and I were drinking in my bedroom and I was too scared to move the bottle and just forgot.
- School work from high school (I left in 2015).
- A permission slip from high school that I never handed in, again I left 4 years ago.
- An ex-boyfriend’s hoodie. I’ve not spoken to him for 6 years.
So yeah, I have a slight problem. Or I just need to start being more organised. I also have a mural on my wall from the previous owners which is supposed to be nursery rhymes but honestly, it looks like the souls of their enemies are trapped within. I have inserted a picture of the creepy wall because everyone needs to see it, people have very mixed feelings on the wall so please let know what you think!
I have finished all my university work bar one project and I am so proud of this because last year I was in such a tough place that it honestly felt impossible, this has helped me see how much I’ve grown because sometimes I forget and get mad thinking that nothing has changed! So here’s to hoping I got it this time around. I love the university and the course I am doing but it is such a weight off my shoulders to be at this point! This month has been my most productive one so far and I really hope the rest of my year is this way because I feel like I am really getting places!
How has your month been? Let me know in the comments, I love talking to you all and hearing about what’s going on with you. Thank you for reading and as always, I hope this year is your year!
Right, I get that we are barely into spring but after getting a sunburn in February (yay global warming) it got me really excited for summer, it is my absolute favourite time of the year. Now, don’t get me wrong I get the hype about the colder seasons, cuddled up in your best, fluffiest blanket, drinking tea and watching that one movie for the millionth time B U T I love summer because I do the exact opposite of that, I am a huge homebody, I am extremely introverted but the minute that the sun’s out I want to live outside and have the best time and I don’t even think about anything but how I am going to spend those months.
When I was in my early teens I hung out with a large group of people and we used to spend every waking moment of summer outside and honestly it was one of my favourite times, I had more freedom and learnt how fun it could be. But the summer I adored was in 2017, Molly and I must have spent every day going out for lunch and drinks and just talking the days away and that might sound so simple but imagine spending every day with your best friend in the whole world not having a care in the world? Also seeing my nephew every day and having water fights whilst we sat waiting on his baby sister to arrive. I know I know it sounds so cheesy but summer makes me feel like I’m in some dumb teen movie and I hope I never lose that feeling.
This summer I will be turning 20 (honestly I’m not ready) and I intend on living it to the full with the people I love. 2019 is going to be my year and summer will be no different! There is just something about summer. The best part of summer for me is the improvement in my mental health, honestly, as soon as the sun comes out so does all my lost serotonin which always makes me so grateful for the time of the year. This time of year improves my mood so much, even writing this post I have the biggest smile because I am so ready for these new memories and starting the new chapter of my life that will be my 20s.
Does anyone else have really intense feelings for a time of year or is it just me? Let me know your favourite time of the year and why in the comments. I love reading what you guys have to say! As always guys, make this year YOUR year!
I absolutely love self-care, I am such a big believer in taking time for yourself to just feel your feelings and figure things out. Anyone that knows me will know I use any excuse to self-care and treat myself, which I personally blame Parks and Recreations for.
Here are some of my favourite self-care tips for when I’m feeling down that are super simple and everyone can do;
- Take a bath. Go run yourself the hottest, bubbliest bath ever, use your favourite bath bomb, out in your favourite playlist and just ignore the world for a while.
- Read your favourite book again, I must have read Watching Edie over a hundred times at this point but there’s something about getting lost in your favourite book that just makes everything a little better.
- FACEMASKS. Whether you buy them or DIY them facemasks are a staple in all self-care and my best friend and I swear by them when we are feeling down.
- Do your favourite makeup look or wear your favourite outfit, spend the day feeling like your best self, there is no such thing as overdressed to go shopping, go big or go home!
- Have a nap or have an early night, honestly, sometimes you just need to sleep it off and start a new day with a clean slate.
- Call your bestie and talk about everything and nothing, there is no problem that a phone call to your best friend cannot fix. Sometimes it’s better to talk it out even if it seems trivial because there is nothing wrong with feeling your feelings even if you are slightly dramatic.
- Turn off negative social media, block people, get rid of those toxic people. There is nothing wrong with getting rid of people or things that don’t impact positively on your life, there is a difference between constructive criticism and nastiness.
- Rewatch your favourite movie or favourite show, go back and enjoy those moments that take you away for a while. Cry at the same scene or episode for the 10th time!
This next piece of advice is for anyone that needs to hear it; DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR WITH KITCHEN SCISSORS, YOU DON’T REALLY WANT A BOX FRINGE, TAKE A MINUTE AND DON’T DO THAT. Please wait and get it done professionally.
I hope these ideas help inspire you for the next time you feel a bit down, let me know your favourite self-care activities in the comments, would love to see how you all wind down! Carry on living your best life and I hope this year is your year and always remember, TREAT YO’ SELF, IT’S THE BEST DAY OF THE YEAR!
I started this blog 4 months ago and I realised that none of you guys actually know much about me, I debated writing a post like this since I started my blog but I didn’t know if anyone would even care enough to read but I really want you guys to know a bit about me!
- I am only 4’10” tall. Which makes me the shortest in my family.
- I have a twin sister, we are not identical and are polar opposite personality wise. I also have 2 older brothers and an older sister.
- Gin is the only alcohol that doesn’t make me weepy. Honestly, I am surprised I have any friends left with the number of nights I have ruined.
- I genuinely love Nickelback and country music, I will fight you in the comments on this!
- I really want kids one day, it’s the one thing in life that I am 100% certain about.
- I am the biggest crybaby, I cry at the drop of a hat especially at shows or movies.
- I have 2 cats who I’ve had for 12 years, Toffee and Tess. I honestly don’t know if I could own a cat after these 2.
- I talk to myself, and I don’t mean randomly as I’m doing jobs I mean like I do it on buses and at work loud enough for people to hear so I look like a crazy person.
- I only have 4 friends, quality over quantity guys. I love my friends more than anyone else.
- I used to write plays when I was younger and really wanted to be a playwright until I was about 16.
I really want to get to know you guys better so tell me a bit about yourself in the comments!
Also of you want to get to know me even better than you should follow me on twitter @LucyBuckton and on Instagram @x_the_short_one_x
The first month of 2019 is coming to a close and I wanted to reflect on the start of the new year and compare it to some of my previous January’s and see how far I have come. I also wanted to do this as this is the first time I have stuck to my guns on my new year’s resolutions and I’m incredibly proud of what I have achieved so far.
January marks my blog’s 3 month anniversary, since starting the new year I have noticed such an increase in my readers feedback and even gained over 10 new followers (Hello and welcome), this has made me so incredibly happy. I have never been so proud of anything I have started and you guys really make it feel worth it and are giving me all the confidence in the world to carry on what I am doing! This is something I have loved doing since I first started it so thank you for reading and commenting. When I started this blog I really didn’t think anyone would read it or even care about what I have to talk about so thank you again for reading. I love talking to you guys and hearing what you have to say!
Something I am most proud of this year is that I FINALLY did sign up for the gym and go on a diet! Well not so much diet as I am just eating a bit healthier and still treating myself a lot, but all that aside, this has been a really positive change in my life, a change I have been wanting to make for years but never had the confidence to do it because the thought of people seeing me exercise really terrified me. I was dreading the gym as I haven’t done any form of exercise since year 9 PE and I love cheesy chips more than I may love my first born but so far I have stuck to it and I am already starting to see the benefits! I still don’t have a real gym schedule and routine yet but it is something that I am working on getting sorted in the next few weeks. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for creating a gym schedule I would love to read them and try them out! I am thinking of writing a blog post on my progress in another month or two so please let me know if that’s something you would like to read about.
This month, for the most part, has just been very relaxing, I handed in all my university assignments and for once don’t feel like I’m drowning, this year I feel confident in what I’m writing and can really see myself getting my degree one day, I have even gone back to thinking about getting my masters one day which is something I was beginning to give up on due to a lack of self-confidence. It has also been spent planning holidays with my best friend and making plans for the best year of our lives! (other the fact that I turn 20 in July and I don’t know who allowed me to be an adult all of a sudden). My friends and I didn’t participate in dry January but we had the best time just sat around talking about everything and nothing together.
Now I know none of this sounds very exciting but this time two years ago I started the new year getting drunk alone in my bedroom, crying over a boy who didn’t even deserve me or my tears (don’t ever do that, it’s a waste of precious energy that could be used for literally anything else.) and on the verge of being kicked out of college. I was on this path of self-destruction with others who were on the same path as me. This time last year I was so badly riddled with anxiety that I was sick every time I left the house, I was failing university and in counselling after antidepressants didn’t work for me, so despite this January may not have been filled with huge adventures but it has been filled with positivity and self-improvement which is something that I could have only wished for in the past. I still have my moments of self-doubt especially with the gym but I am continuing to stay positive and not give up because I have already come such a long way in such a short time. I just hope the rest of my year continues on this path!
How’s the first month of 2019 been for you guys? Would love to hear how you’ve spent the past month, thank you for reading!
Just a quick note before I get into the posts; I am going to start posting once every 2 weeks as I feel like this is more realistic for me, so I promise my posting will be 100% more consistent from here on out. Thank you all for reading and commenting on my posts it really makes me feel like I am finding my feet with this and interacting with my readers is an amazing feeling so thank you all again!
Also The artist I Doodle Moole who i mentioned in my last blog post has made my new profile picture so again please so check her out and give her all the love and support in the world! Her handles are;
I am no stranger to binge-watching TV/Netflix series as much as I can, I am very much one of those people who will immediately find a new series to start as soon as my other one ends so that my life continues to have meaning and I have more reasons to procrastinate, so I thought I would share my top 3 series with you all. Please let me know what your favourites are in the comments or if you watch any of the same ones I do.
- Call the Midwife; So if you aren’t from the UK you may have not have heard of this show. It is a period drama set in a post-war London in the 1950’s/1960’s. It is based on the memoirs of real east end midwife Jenny Worth and recounts the many births she saw in her time. The show deals with very difficult storylines such as girls being forced to get backstreet abortions due to the laws, the rampant racism people of the time faced and even talking about those affected by the morning sickness pill known as Thalidomide. BUT it also deals with things such as the contraceptive pill being invented meaning women could take pregnancy into their own hands, Vaccines being created for measles and you also get to see 1000’s of healthy babies being born throughout the many series. Now I know what you are thinking, why do you love this show so much? Well, I love babies. I am the broodiest 19-year-old girl you will ever meet but I also love seeing what life used to be like and how we have evolved as a society over the years, seeing how much tolerance has grown and how much medicine has advanced. So if you enjoy a good period drama this one is definitely for you and is available on Netflix UK.
- Grey’s Anatomy; So it was my sister that got me into this A M A Z I N G show. I saw a few episodes as she watched and started getting emotionally invested so I thought I would give it a chance and I am SO happy I did. Grey’s Anatomy is a hospital drama and follows the different lives of the doctors and surgeons working at Seattle Grace Mercy West. The show is currently on its 15th Season and I hope it continues forever because I have no idea what to do if it was to end. Some reasons that this show is one of my favourites is because it so well is written, it has some amazing quotes and can teach the audience some life lessons as they watch. I have never been more emotionally invested in a set of fictional characters as I am to the doctors on this show you really feel like you have gone on this journey with them and find yourself laughing and crying with them along the way.
- Haunting of Hill House; If you have not seen this terrifying Netflix original what are you waiting for?! I am a horror lover so when I heard about this series I knew I just had to give it a go and honestly I am going to re-watch it when I finish writing this post! This series took the internet by storm as it followed the Crain family and their journey of living in Hill House and how it affected them in later lives. Its told using a mix of flashbacks and present day which is done so seamlessly that you will never get confused which some series tend to do. This series keeps you on your toes all the way through with its amazing use of background characters and sets, it also uses tasteful jump scares that are well thought out and aren’t constantly used so that the audience feel uneasy and can’t pay attention to what’s happening. I really cannot talk about this show more highly than I do to everyone I know.
Some honourable mentions would be;
The Good Place and Shameless (US) (Yes I am aware that as a British person this is blasphemy of the highest calibre). These two shows are absolutely amazing and are both available to watch on Netflix but they did not make it into my top 3 but this may change as more season become available!
Thank you for reading and please let me know in the comments if you agree with my choices and let me know what your top 3 are and I may check a few out and tell you if I get as invested as you!